PDA

View Full Version : Filters

cyonix
24th November 2009, 07:56 PM
Hello Icefire i have a question please,

should i leave all filters on (default settings) or should i edit the filters for best results?

is the default setup already the best one?

ICEFIRE
24th November 2009, 10:09 PM
The default setup is a generic setup that should work for practically any site.

Depending on your site it could be optimal or not.

If in doubt, go to network settings and set the filter option to enabled: Stop counting. That will just make the script stop counting any actions from the IP that has hit any filtering routine but will not kick it out of your site.

This option is very handy specally at the beginning while you have not found the best configuration for your filtering.

cyonix
25th November 2009, 08:59 PM
Can u please explain for what is log prunning has it to do to count the uniques exactly? should it be setup at maximum?

best regards!

ICEFIRE
25th November 2009, 10:48 PM
Log pruning routine just clears the logs every several hours.
The default log cleaning is a rotation of 24 hours. This means that an entry in the logs database will remain there for 24 hours. On busy servers and high traffic sites 24 hours of logs may be not really needed and usually would cause some extra server load. For small sites it's completely irrelevant.

So, if you have a big site and/or don't really need 24 hours of logs, then you can setup log pruning at some lower hours interval.

If you have a small site log pruning may be not the best option because it also clears the IP logs that are used to determine 24 hours unique visitors. Also on a small site running on any nowadays server log pruning would have absolutely no effect on the server load.